Balm for any cut or bruise
Go to your local co-op and look for a salve with comfrey. It should have basic ingredients like olive oil, beeswax, etc. I like the one sold by HerbPharm.
The bathmats from Pottery Barn do not shrink in the corners, and they are all cotton – no polyester micro plastic going down the drain and in the air every time you wash and dry them.
- thermowood Redecker wooden brush – Oxford Brush Company
- find product recommendations and perspective here.
No more plastic floss escaping into the wild. It’s time for amazing silk floss. I love the brand Dental Lace.
Hairbrushes & Combs
- Redecker straight hairbrush, waxed beechwood with rubber, 8-5/8″
– Amazon, or
- Redecker thermowood straight brush with rubber – Oxford Brush Company
- Redecker Waxed Beechwood Pocket Comb, 5-7/8″ – Amazon
- Afro style comb – Oxford Brush Company
- Afro style comb with handle – Oxford Brush Company
Makeup & Moisturizer
If you want non-toxic beautiful makeup, don’t buy from anyone except Toups Organics.
- Moisturizer – grass-fed tallow and olive oil – Toups & Co or my favorite PrimalDerma
- Concealer – Toups & Co
- Blush – Toups & Co or make your own:
- take dried passion flower, red roses, radix lethospermi
- soak dried plants in olive oil at least 10 days.
- melt some beeswax, adding the colored oil from above as you melt
- mix 1 part rose powder, 1 part cornmeal, 2-3 parts pearl powder in a mortar and pestle
- add the beeswax/olive mixture little bits at a time, mixing
- pour into a vessel
- to apply: rub a finger in the blush paste, and dab onto cheek gently
- Eyebrow pencil – Toups & Co, or make your own:
- mix coffee powder, bamboo ash, and extract of blue colored plants mainly consisting indigo and indirubin. The blue powder is commercially available from Chinese drug stores that sell herbs for Chinese medicine. The name is “青黛粉”. If you can find a Chinese drug store, you can ask them. The dark blue type is more superior than the light blue type.
- then add a little melted beeswax and mix. should be firm powder, not mash.
- Lipstick – make your own like Liziqi:
- crush red rose petals in a mortar and pestle with a little water and fresh lemon juice
- put mash into a cloth and press out the dyed water in a bowl
- heat the dyed water until it reduces down
- soak pieces of powdered paper in the dyed water; dry
- paint more dyed water onto the papers 3 – 5 times, letting dry each time.
- to apply, wet lips with a finger, and press lips onto the paper, putting paper in between lips together.
There are a variety to choose from if you want natural bristles and natural materials. I haven’t tried all of these:
- cream blush: Tom Ford Cream Foundation Brush 02
- powder bush:
- Make Up Brush Kabuki – Koyudo red or blue squirrel brushes
- powdered foundation brush: Koyudo Fu-Pa 14
- others: Redecker brushes 610517 cosmetic brush and 610510 mini blusher brush are not available in the USA
- Redecker thermowood nail brush with pig stiff bristles – Amazon
Get the stainless steel open comb design if you’re a lady or man who doesn’t shave every day.
- Timeless Razors is the best place! I recommend the stainless steel, smooth cap, open comb, 0.95 blade gap, knurled handle, polished finish, and the matching ‘stand’. Tip: find the ‘scratch and dent’ page to get a cheaper one!
- If you want to level up to a straight razor, Mooremaker has a good one.
- Kai razor blades – Amazon
- Keep your used blades in a metal case from Amazon until you’re ready to recycle them.
- choose your favorite made by Redecker available on Oxford Brush Company website
- metal shower ‘rings’ that allow you to take curtains on and off quickly – Amazon
- magnets if you need to weigh down your shower curtains – Amazon
- Nylon shower curtains CAN be less toxic than PVC or hard plastics. Linen or hemp would be best.
- consider a Wall-Mounted Rotating French Soap Holder – Amazon. Refills
- Handsoap: if using a foaming soap dispenser. I find that Dr. Bronner’s soap ruins every foaming soap dispenser eventually, so go with a different foaming soap brand like Earthview (made for those with MCS) or Soapply (more expensive). If you don’t need foaming soap, this Pottery Barn soap dispenser is good quality.
- get a soap case for when you travel from Redecker – Amazon
- If you like bar soaps, try Dr. Bronner’s, Porcupine Soaps, or others listed on the Debra Lynn Dad website
Don’t settle for so-called ‘eco-friendly’ toothbrushes with bamboo handles that still have non-biodegradable bristles. Choose a truly natural toothbrush with natural pig hair bristles. They are made by Redecker and are available from the following two companies in both adult and children’s sizes:
Toilet brush and stand
- Redecker from Amazon
- for a plunger, buy the simple red plunger you find at the hardware store, with the wood handle, and get a simple plant pot water tray to rest the plunger on.
Stop buying plastic, and go totally plastic free with Who Gives a Crap toilet paper. As each roll is wrapped in cute colorful paper with funny sayings, you can put it anywhere in your house – you don’t have to hide it in a closet.
Toothpaste and Tooth Tabs
- Dr. Bronner’s – Mint – 5oz – Amazon
- Dr. Bronner’s travel size 1oz – Amazon
- Crush and Brush – Mint tooth tablets from Life Without Plastic
Towels to dry hands that don’t fall off the towel bar
Ditch the regular ‘hand towels’. They are too small and always fall down. Get a slightly larger size and take one more little annoyance out of your life.
- Hand towel 20″ x 40″ – Coyuchi