Balm for any cut or bruise
Go to your local co-op and look for a salve with comfrey. It should have basic ingredients like olive oil, beeswax, etc. I like the one sold by HerbPharm.
The bathmats from Pottery Barn do not shrink in the corners, and they are all cotton – no polyester micro plastic going down the drain and in the air every time you wash and dry them.
- thermowood Redecker wooden brush – Oxford Brush Company
- Meliora bar
- J.R. Liggett bar
- Pure Haven
Find perspective here.
- DeodoMoM on Amazon. I believe this was sold by http://www.30sdomeweeks.com which is no longer an active site. I tried to contact the seller through Amazon to confirm there are no additives without success.
- MoM on People’s Pharmacy. They also offer an economy size, or two sticks with free shipping. This product has several additives (Lithium Magnesium, Sodium Silicate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol), whereas DeodoMoM on Amazon does not.
- Milk of Magnesia. Some their own in a spray bottle or lotion pump, or dab on with a cotton ball, such as GoodSense Milk of Magnesia, but I can’t verify that there are no additives in that specific brand.
- Alcohol & Zinc Oxide – one of the most powerful make-your-own combinations. Apply alcohol first, then the zinc oxide; then dab on cornstarch.
- Tallow-based balm – Creatrix Solutions Tallow – Fresh Scent.
- Powders – these can decrease odor AND help with excess moisture or sweating….corn Starch (non-GMO), arrowroot powder, baking soda, dry powder ‘milk of magnesia’–magnesium hydroxide. Many people don’t need anything other than this – dab one or make a mix.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – dab on.
No more plastic floss escaping into the wild. It’s time for amazing silk floss. I love the brand Dental Lace.
There are two very safe ways to dye hair. With both it’s best practice to not use any hair products one week before dyeing, or use a chelating shampoo like the one sold by Hairprint for $24 8oz.
- Ancient Sunrise Henna for Hair Kits from Mehandi.com and support from HennaforHair.com – short hair kit 100g $31 – This will take a few to several hours, and if you want black, it will be a 2-day affair.
- Velvet Bean and carbomer from MyHairprint.com – short hair kit $42 – time required is more similar to conventional hair dyes.
There are tons of less safe ways to dye hair:
- Goldwell Elumen Long Lasting – semi-permanent, will only last a half a month if you shower every day.
- Schwarzkopf Simply Color
- Wella Koleston Perfect Me+
Hairbrushes & Combs
- Redecker straight hairbrush, waxed beechwood with rubber, 8-5/8″
– Amazon, or
- Redecker thermowood straight brush with rubber – Oxford Brush Company
- Redecker Waxed Beechwood Pocket Comb, 5-7/8″ – Amazon
- Afro style comb – Oxford Brush Company
- Afro style comb with handle – Oxford Brush Company
See ‘Moisturizer’ below.
If you want non-toxic beautiful makeup, don’t buy from anyone except Toups Organics.
- Concealer – Toups & Co
- Blush – Toups & Co or make your own:
- take dried passion flower, red roses, radix lethospermi
- soak dried plants in olive oil at least 10 days.
- melt some beeswax, adding the colored oil from above as you melt
- mix 1 part rose powder, 1 part cornmeal, 2-3 parts pearl powder in a mortar and pestle
- add the beeswax/olive mixture little bits at a time, mixing
- pour into a vessel
- to apply: rub a finger in the blush paste, and dab onto cheek gently
- Brow Gel – Crunchi
- Eyebrow pencil – Toups & Co, or make your own:
- mix coffee powder, bamboo ash, and extract of blue colored plants mainly consisting indigo and indirubin. The blue powder is commercially available from Chinese drug stores that sell herbs for Chinese medicine. The name is “青黛粉”. If you can find a Chinese drug store, you can ask them. The dark blue type is more superior than the light blue type.
- then add a little melted beeswax and mix. should be firm powder, not mash.
- Lipstick – make your own like Liziqi:
- crush red rose petals in a mortar and pestle with a little water and fresh lemon juice
- put mash into a cloth and press out the dyed water in a bowl
- heat the dyed water until it reduces down
- soak pieces of powdered paper in the dyed water; dry
- paint more dyed water onto the papers 3 – 5 times, letting dry each time.
- to apply, wet lips with a finger, and press lips onto the paper, putting paper in between lips together.
There are a variety to choose from if you want natural bristles and natural materials. I haven’t tried all of these:
- cream blush: Tom Ford Cream Foundation Brush 02
- powder bush:
- Make Up Brush Kabuki – Koyudo red or blue squirrel brushes
- powdered foundation brush: Koyudo Fu-Pa 14
- others: Redecker brushes 610517 cosmetic brush and 610510 mini blusher brush are not available in the USA
- Hand mirror Redecker, available at Springfield Mercantile
- Pocket mirror 2-3/4 x 2-3/4″ – Amazon or Etsy or Etsy
- Moisturizer – grass-fed tallow and olive oil – Toups & Co, Vintage Tradition, or Perma-Earth
- Booda Butter Tub of Love
- Redecker thermowood nail brush with pig stiff bristles – Amazon
Get the stainless steel open comb design if you’re a lady or man who doesn’t shave every day.
- Timeless Razors is the best place! I recommend the stainless steel, smooth cap, open comb, 0.95 blade gap, knurled handle, polished finish, and the matching ‘stand’. Tip: find the ‘scratch and dent’ page to get a cheaper one!
- If you want to level up to a straight razor, Mooremaker has a good one.
- Kai razor blades – Amazon
- Keep your used blades in a metal case from Amazon until you’re ready to recycle them.
- All-Natural Shampoo Bar – J.R. Liggett’s
- Invigorating Seaweed or Nourishing Lavender shampoo and conditioner – NYR Organics 2.67/oz
- Sweet orange shampoo 2.12/oz or Supergreen shampoo 3.12/oz, and conditioners – Pure Haven
- Super Sensitive shampoo & bodywash 1.39/oz – California Baby
- Lavender Mint+Clover Silky shampoo 2.89/oz – Flourish Beauty
- Living Hair shampoo 2.75/oz – The Body Deli
- choose your favorite made by Redecker available on Oxford Brush Company website
- metal shower ‘rings’ that allow you to take curtains on and off quickly – Amazon
- magnets if you need to weigh down your shower curtains – Amazon
- Nylon shower curtains CAN be less toxic than PVC or hard plastics. Linen or hemp would be best.
- Handsoap: if using a foaming soap dispenser. I find that Dr. Bronner’s soap ruins every foaming soap dispenser eventually, so go with a different foaming soap brand like Earthview (made for those with MCS) or Soapply (more expensive). If you don’t need foaming soap, this Pottery Barn soap dispenser is good quality.
- get a soap case for when you travel from Redecker – Amazon
- If you like bar soaps, try Dr. Bronner’s, Porcupine Soaps, or others listed on the Debra Lynn Dad website
- soap dish: Analogue life
Don’t settle for so-called ‘eco-friendly’ toothbrushes with bamboo handles that still have non-biodegradable bristles. Choose a truly natural toothbrush with natural pig hair bristles. They are made by Redecker and are available from the following two companies in both adult and children’s sizes:
Toilet brush and stand
- Redecker from Amazon
- for a plunger, buy the simple red plunger you find at the hardware store, with the wood handle, and get a simple plant pot water tray to rest the plunger on.
Stop buying plastic, and go totally plastic free with Who Gives a Crap toilet paper. As each roll is wrapped in cute colorful paper with funny sayings, you can put it anywhere in your house – you don’t have to hide it in a closet.
Toothpaste and Tooth Tabs
- Dr. Bronner’s – Mint – 5oz – Amazon
- Crush and Brush – Mint tooth tablets from Life Without Plastic
- BR Organic Toothpaste – Essential Oxygen
- Natural Hydroxyapatite – Risewell
Towels to dry hands that don’t fall off the towel bar
Ditch the regular ‘hand towels’. They are too small and always fall down. Get a slightly larger size and take one more little annoyance out of your life.
- Hand towel 20″ x 40″ – Coyuchi