Why do we settle for all of the ugly plastic crap in our bathrooms?
No more. Go for products that will last, made of natural mother earth materials.
Get the stainless steel open comb design if you’re a lady or man who doesn’t shave every day.
- Timeless Razors is the best place! I recommend the stainless steel, smooth cap, open comb, 0.95 blade gap, knurled handle, polished finish, and the matching ‘stand’. Tip: find the ‘scratch and dent’ page to get a cheaper one!
- If you want to level up to a straight razor, Mooremaker has a good one.
- Kai razor blades – Amazon
- Keep your used blades in a metal case from Amazon until you’re ready to recycle them.
- choose your favorite made by Redecker available on Oxford Brush Company website
- consider a Wall-Mounted Rotating French Soap Holder – Amazon. Refills
- or a foaming soap dispenser that you can put your own Bronner’s soap in, 1/3 C soap to 2/3 cup water, with 24 drops essential oils – put the soap and oils together first. If you don’t need foaming, and have other soap you like, this Pottery Barn soap dispenser is good quality
- or get a traditional soap dish in ceramic (ask for them without the crab), or wood
- get a soap case for when you travel from Redecker – Amazon
- my favorite soaps are Dr. Bronner’s and Grandma’s lye bar soap from Lehman’s
Don’t settle for so-called ‘eco-friendly’ toothbrushes with bamboo handles that still have non-biodegradable bristles. Choose a truly natural toothbrush with natural pig hair bristles. They are made by Redecker and are available from the following two companies in both adult and children’s sizes:
Toothpaste and Tooth Tabs
- Dr. Bronner’s – Mint – 5oz – Amazon
- Dr. Bronner’s travel size 1oz – Amazon
- Crush and Brush – Mint tooth tablets from Life Without Plastic
No more plastic floss escaping into the wild. It’s time for amazing silk floss. I love the brand Dental Lace.
Hairbrushes & Combs
- Redecker straight hairbrush, waxed beechwood with rubber, 8-5/8″
– Amazon, or
- Redecker thermowood straight brush with rubber – Oxford Brush Company
- Redecker Waxed Beechwood Pocket Comb, 5-7/8″ – Amazon
- Afro style comb – Oxford Brush Company
- Afro style comb with handle – Oxford Brush Company
*don’t forget the wire hairbrush cleaner – Amazon
- Redecker thermowood nail brush with pig stiff bristles – Amazon
Bath back brush
- thermowood Redecker wooden brush – Oxford Brush Company
Toilet brush and stand
- Redecker from Amazon
- for a plunger, buy the simple red plunger you find at the hardware store, with the wood handle, and get a simple plant pot water tray to rest the plunger on.
- Primal Life deodorant – Vanilla Matcha
Ingredients: Cocos nucifera (Coconut oil), Manihot Esculenta (Arrowroot) root powder, zinc oxide (non-nano), euphorbia cerifera (Candelilla) wax, myroxylon pereirae (balsam of peru) oil, cannabis sativa (hemp) seed oil, bentonite, matcha green tea, magnesium hydroxide
- Creatrix Solutions Tallow – Fresh Scent
Ingredients: Grass Range Fed (no hormones or antibiotics) Rendered Cow Kidney Tallow, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Aluminum Free Baking Soda, Organic Arrowroot Powder, Zinc Oxide Powder (non-nano), and Essential Oils (High Altitude Organic Lavender, and Tea Tree)
- Toups Organics Grass-fed beef tallow
Unscented Ingredients: 100% grassfed tallow, organic arrowroot powder, magnesium hydroxide, organic virgin coconut oil
- There’s always the cheap and very effective baking soda deodorant. Put aluminum-free baking soda powder in an Anchor Hocking sugar dish with cover. To apply, put some baking powder in the palm of one hand. Put a tiny bit of moisture on your other hand’s fingers or palm and rub your palms together. Then apply to armpits.
Makeup & Moisturizer
If you want non-toxic beautiful makeup, don’t buy from anyone except Toups Organics.
- Moisturizer – grass-fed tallow and olive oil – Toups & Co
- Concealer – Toups & Co
- Blush – Toups & Co or make your own:
- melt some beeswax, adding the colored oil from above as you melt
- mix 1 part rose powder, 1 part cornmeal, 2-3 parts pearl powder in a mortar and pestle
- add the beeswax/olive mixture.
- pour into a vessel
to apply: rub a finger in the blush paste, and dab onto cheek gently
- Mascara – Toups & Co
- Eyebrow pencil – Toups & Co
- Lipstick – make your own like Liziqi:soak dried plants in olive oil at least 10 days:
- passion flower
- radix lethospermi
when ready, soak powdered paper in the olive oil, let dry. paint more into the papers 3 – 5 times, letting dry each time. to apply, wet lips with a finger, and press lips onto the paper, putting paper in between lips together.
There are a variety to choose from if you want natural bristles and natural materials. I haven’t tried all of these:
- cream blush: Tom Ford Cream Foundation Brush 02
- powder bush:
- Make Up Brush Kabuki – Iris Hantverk, or Koyudo red or blue squirrel brushes
- powdered foundation: Koyudo Fu-Pa 14
Balm for any cut or bruise
Go to your local co-op and look for a salve with comfrey. It should have basic ingredients like olive oil, beeswax, etc. I like the one sold by HerbPharm.
- metal shower ‘rings’ that allow you to take curtains on and off quickly – Amazon
- magnets if you need to weigh down your shower curtains – Amazon
The bathmats from Pottery Barn do not shrink in the corners, and they are all cotton – no polyester micro plastic going down the drain and in the air every time you wash and dry them.
Hand towels that don’t fall off the towel bar
Ditch the regular ‘hand towels’. They are too small and always fall down. Get a slightly larger size and take one more little annoyance out of your life.
- Hand towel 20″ x 40″ – Coyuchi
Stop buying plastic, and go totally plastic free with Who Gives a Crap toilet paper. As each roll is wrapped in cute colorful paper with funny sayings, you can put it anywhere in your house – you don’t have to hide it in a closet.