It can be difficult to find clothing that is natural fiber AND organic fiber. To start, try focusing on simply natural fiber. As I am a woman, this list is woman-focused; however, there are some fantastic options for men in the list as well. Men’s clothing is noted with caps (MEN’S). Children’s options are at the end.
Why do we care about natural fiber? Read the answer here.
- Fruit of the Loom, $3-$5: crew t-shirt: Ladies Heavy Cotton HD153 L3930. Beware of the heathered colors – but the solid colors are ok – 100% cotton. My bust is 35.5″; I take Medium.
- Fruit of the Loom, $3-$5: v-neck t-shirt: Ladies 5 oz. HD Cotton L39VR. Beware of the heathered colors – but the solid colors are ok – 100% cotton. My bust is 35.5″; I take Medium.
- Brooks Brothers
- American Giant, $24-28 t-shirt. Skip the Premium, Classic is best, if any. They are too stretchy and thin in my opinion.
- Patagonia, $24: crew neck t-shirt. My bust is 35.5″ – I take XS
- Dharma – scoop-neck
- Dharma – MATERNITY
- try checking Levi’s, Urban Outfitters, and Patagonia
Long Sleeve Shirt
- J.Crew & J.Crew Factory
- Dharma – thermal, scoop-neck
- Toast – cotton long sleeve tee. These are hit or miss.
Sweatshirt – Pullover
- American Giant, MEN’s classic pullover (kanga hoodie) – this is THE WARMEST hoodie ever. American Giant doesn’t yet offer a 100% cotton kanga pullover hoodie for women, but write to them, and maybe they will.
- J.Crew & J.Crew Factory – their men’s hoodies will fit pretty well on women, compared with Cotton Mills’ hoodies (below) which are way too large for most women.
- Cotton Mill – MEN’s and WOMEN’s but the women’s is not anything even approaching flattering.
- Tom Cridland
- try vintage on eBay
- American Apparel – hit or miss
- H&M – hit or miss and not the best quality
- Goodfellow at Target – MEN’s
- Best Made – MEN’s
Sweatshirt – Zipped
- American Giant – MEN’s & WOMEN’s the best
- Pact, MEN’S & WOMEN’S most affordable
- Cotton Mill – MEN’s & Women’s
In my opinion, the Cotton Mill sweatpants are hands down the best quality, which you can see and feel immediately when compared to American Giant. But American Giant is still good, and the cuts are more narrow, which look more fashionable.
- Cotton Mill, Women’s 8oz sweatpants $65 – my true hip is 37″/waist 27″; I wear size M
- Cotton Mill, MEN’S 8oz sweatpants $65
- American Giant, MEN’s & WOMEN’s Classic sweatpants – $88 -my true hip is 37″/waist 27″; I wear size M
- try vintage on eBay
- Cotton Mill, Women’s 20oz sweatpants $71 – my true hip is 37″/waist 27″; I wear size S
- Cotton Mill, MEN’S 20oz sweatpants $71
- try vintage on eBay
- American Giant, MEN’s buffalo vest
- Filson – they have a line of work clothing that has a much greater use of natural fibers than Carhartt. The line is called C.C.F., but there are other great options too in their other lines.
- Tommy Hilfiger
- American Giant, MEN’s roughneck pants
- Filson – MEN’S utility pants. They have a line of work clothing that has a much greater use of natural fibers than Carhartt. The line is called C.C.F., but there are other great options too in their other lines.
- Filson – MEN’S they have a line of work clothing that has a much greater use of natural fibers than Carhartt. The line is called C.C.F., but there are other great options too in their other lines.
- Urban Outfitters – I recommend this company to find casual women’s jean denim shorts. They take old vintage levi jeans (which are almost always 100% cotton), and revamp them. Look for the Cuffed Cutoff (aka Turn Up Hem).
- Cotton Mill – MEN’s sweat shorts
- Tommy Hilfiger
- Urban Outfitters
- Christy Dawn and Urban Outfitters sometimes offer all cotton or all linen dresses.
- Hanes Hi-Cut or Jockey French Cut – both of these brands offer 100% cotton underwear for women. The Hanes come in 5-packs with mostly awful colors, and the waistband is not covered, as it is with the Jockey. Write to Hanes asking them to allow customers to choose their own colors instead of having to buy pre-selected varieties in 5-packs. The Hanes 5-pack always has at least one pair that is not 100% cotton, because it is ‘heathered.’
- Filson – MEN’s they have a line of work clothing that has a much greater use of natural fibers than Carhartt. The line is called C.C.F., but there are other great options too in their other lines.
- Filson – wool
- Faribault Mills – wool
- Eileen Fisher – alpaca, or other
Fabric for Sewing Your Own Items
100% cotton fleece:
- Danish Woolen Delight – A website offering organic woolen underlayers and hats for baby and child.
- Dharma Trading – cotton fabric AND cotton thread!
- Hanna Andersson
- Mini Boden
- Fleece Farm
- Mango Kids
- Zara Kids
- JCP, Arizona Jeans Brand
- Andy & Evan
- Abercrombie & Fitch
- Search for these brands above and below, used, on eBay.
Almost all natural fiber:
- Simply Vera Wang – this brand through Kohl’s offers leggings that are 95% cotton. These are the highest natural fiber legging I’ve found that are comfortable.
- http://www.LeadingLady.com – they offer one sports bra that has a higher content of cotton, but it is only 95% in the navy, and 86% in the athletic grey. This is still way higher than any other brand I was able to find in the true sports bra cut/style. http://www.Cottonique.com does offer a 100% cotton sports bra, but you can’t return items once taken out of the packaging.
Maybe Less Destructive Materials
Natural rubber-based Neoprene – Yulex
- Patagonia. Neoprene-free Yulex® wetsuits lighter and stretchier, and now Fair Trade Certified™ too. They blend 85% natural rubber with 15% synthetic rubber, reducing CO2 emissions in manufacturing by up to 80%.
Limestone-based Neoprene – Geoprene
- NP Surf. Yamamoto Limestone Neoprene. Made from limestone extracted from Mt. Kurohime at Niigata prefecture in Japan, it is a non-petroleum based material.We are the only brand to include Yamamoto Limestone Neoprene in all our wetsuits, no matter the price level. This premium material is typically only used in high-end products.
- Matuse. Limestone Neoprene is 98% water impermeable. Petroluem-based neoprene is 65% water ipermeable. Geoprene suits don’t absorb water like a sponge.
Unfortunately there are things I haven’t been able to find in all natural fiber, such as:
- women’s jeans that are 100% cotton that are loose enough to facilitate sitting without cutting off circulation. Tommy Hilfiger came close.
- sweat shorts for women
- sweatshirt hoodies for women
- sports bras or regular bras
- winter and spring coats
- winter hat
- wool socks